Sunday 24 June 2012

The DOOM Effect

Hey guys, bit less formal approach on the post today, and in case you don't know where the godly poster at the top is from, read this so you know, cause not knowing is a crime against gaming!

I remember, waaaaay back in the grand old year of 2002, at my aunts. A very vague memory, but one that sticks, nontheless. Not cause I broke anything, or cause of a party or something like that, but because I got introduced to the cornerstone of my beloved first person shooter genre: Id Software's DOOM.

And yes, by that point the game had been out for about 8 years, so it was already a seasoned series, but it stuck in my head for years, somehow I found it appealing, maybe I have a calling for venturing into hell istelf and turning it's demonic residents into gibs on the floor. Turns out I had a knack for it too, hence why I play game series such as Halo and Battlefield, I enjoy it, and somehow am good at it. Some days.

Still, even today, gotta admire the classics.

Infamous: DOOM's first level: E1M1: Hangar
I was reunited with this carnage-filled satanic masterpiece in 2008, when i first got my xbox live membership. Looked on the arcade games marketplace and made my second ever purchase on xbox live when I bought it, at the time, for 800 MSP, and enjoyed hours of nostalgic fun., reducing hell to a mess of gibbed sprites and the death clips of imps and cyberdemons alike

If that wasn't enough, I later found out that it's sequel, DOOM II: Hell On Earth, where the protagonist returns to Earth after slaying demons on Phobos and Diemos, and Hell itself in the first title, on to discover that that the planet too has fallen to a hellish invasion, with the new super shotgun to slay both old and new hellspawn alike.

Also, the music is A-Grade Badass, 'Badass' being SO badass, it needs a capital letter. I'll leave a vid of the first level's soundtrack, enjoy ;)

Anyway, typing this post has dragged a bit, and there isn't much else to talk about apart from me saying this: If you call yourself a gamer, and have never heard of/played DOOM/DOOM II, then I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but you aren't a real gamer. This game series. Is and will always be. Boss.

See you tomorrow! 

                          Jason :)

Video of the soundtrack, check it out :P V

No comments:

Post a Comment